KISS DP-558 Powersupply Modification
This page gives a step by step guide for modification of the KISS DP-558 Power Supply due to leaking/defective PSU capacitors.
The KISS DP-558 power supply has a construction error, that makes it fail, typically after beeing used 24/7 ranging from 1-3 years. The problem is proberly caused by the extensive heat that the unit generates combined low voltage capacitors (10 volt).
Mine failed after 2 years and 8 month beeing used 24/7.
Please observe, that making any modifications the the KISS DP-558 will void the warrenty, so proceed at own risk
KISS DP-558 is a highend harddisk recorder, with internet connection and FTP server and integrated online EPG (electronic Program Guide).
The DP-558 basically consist of a Powersupply unit, a main computer board, one DVD drive, one harddisk and a front unit
The harddisk is supplied by a +12 Volt (yellow) and +5 Volt (red). Ground is wired as black. When this type of error occures, both +12 volt and +5 volt linies drop in voltage. To make sure this fix is nessary for your type of error, check for the following symptoms:
Typical symptoms to look for:
- LCD Displays only: "KISS DVD"
- LCD Displays only: "BOOT ERR
- Harddisk does not spin up when unit is powered on
- It is not possible to open DVD drive
- No reaction to remote control
- Display illumination is lower than usual
- Capacitors C19,C20,C15 of PSU may show leakage
- +12 volt and +5 volt supply to the KISS DP-558 harddisk is low (e.g 11 and 3 volt)
Step 1: Remove mains power line, and wait at least 30 minutes before any repair is started.
Step 2: Remove cover of the unit.
Step 3: Located the Power Supply Module (PSU). PSU Type must be: Achme AM561B
Step 4: Disconnet the 4 power connectors from PSU module
Step 5: Remove the 4 screws mounting the PSU to chassie
Step 6: Located capacitor C19,C20 and C15
Step 7: Remove the Capacitors C19,C20 and C15
Step 8: Replace the capacitors as followes (please observe polarity of capacitors +/-):
- C15 1000 uF 16V 105C (Type: WGR Radial, Low impedance)
- C19 2200 uF 16V 105C (Type: WGR Radial, Low impedance)
- C20 1000 uF 16V 105C (Type: WGR Radial, Low impedance)
Step 9: Reassemble the unit.
Final Note: it may be a good idea to replace other capacitors if they show sign of leakage. Please also note that a capacitor may be out of order even if it show not sign of leakage.